16.2.09

Pole Vault

i somewhat proud of myself. i problem-solved using my new-found knowledge of technology this week. i coach at a middle school in the north texas area and we just began track season. i have the daunting task of coaching pole vault and before you ask, NO, i have not ever tried the sport. so, you can imagine what day one of 'tryouts' must look like when i have 40 seventh and eighth grade boys/girls staring at me trying to explain something that's been described as one of the 10 most challenging feats on the planet. this year i decided to show a few videos as a precursor to our workouts. i successfully uploaded youtube videos to a page that i created on our track website. most of my kids (except for the ones who weren't allowed to download quicktime) viewed the video with success, and this allowed me to whittle down my numbers after some became a little more realistic (frightened) about what pole vault really was. my second task came today when i was spontaneously informed that i had to present a video to girls athletics in tandem with the other female coaches who'd planned an impromptu session of videos in the computer lab. i decided to cut-up a training video that i found on youtube with a brief narration by my voice. the video was extremely long and was outdated. i used some of the basics i could find to create my own 5-minute video. i uploaded the video to youtube and sent the link to the female coach in charge of the video session tomorrow. problem solved. girls get to view what i want them to and i can have the entire period to work the boys out on the pole vault pit. chaos successfully managed...

here is the original link on youtube that i used for video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eq9IQ_HQi9U&feature=related

1 comment:

  1. Good work.

    Please be careful to not fall too far behind. I need five weekly posts in your blog (you have four out of at least ten, this is mid-week 3); I need notes from your reading, and your "what I know" project. I appreciate the demands a new-born must be making on you. Please let me know if there's something I or anyone else at Full Sail can do to help out.

    ReplyDelete