24.2.09

In Limbo

well, i've made some headway into the different media tutorials provided for us this month and still feel a bit overwhelmed. i still need direction for my media project and still want to find a more defined direction for the use of all this media in my career. there are spurts and stagnancy, but i'm still working on putting it all together. i feel it; i can theorize, but i don't know exactly what it looks like yet. i guess you should say "in due time."

Joe Bustillos posted something in my blog about helping the younger generation sort through the chaos known as media today and to come. i drew a sharp metaphor to this phenomenon when my father sent me this picture of myself and my son. when i look into the eyes and minds of the young people i work with, i'm fearful of the things they are overstimulated by. the list seems endless and media plays the largest role in it. the difference is they solicit more of it and my job as an educator has become not only filter, but to also direct them towards intellectual pathways. i had a student ask to site "Google" during a recent research project. the problem is that he is mesmerized by the number entries that appear when he searches, but he does not understand that countless amounts of those entries are also unreliable. i got the same face from him that i got in the picture of my son and me...awestruck, disbelief, and trying to make sense of the world as he encounters it. in regards to my student, i directed him to the CIA's World Fact Book for the majority of his research. Though it may not be as glamorous, he now has an outlet use later in school. it truly is surreal to think of yourself as having a young mind in your hands and they self-recognition that comes from helping a student down the right path...

2 comments:

  1. I show two blog posts for week2 - I'm counting the gorilla one as a convergence culture post for week 2. three post shy for week 2

    ReplyDelete
  2. check my last comment, I'll give you credit for the week two blog posts and the reading for week 2. As of right now I need 10 more post from you, which need to include a post for week 3 and week 4 reading, ron smith interview Q&A, and your what I learned project.

    ReplyDelete